Knowing exactly what to ask vendors as you try to determine who will help make your big day an unforgettable one can be overwhelming. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of some of the most important ones. Let this guide your conversations as you assemble your wedding team and you can be confident in their abilities to make your day truly memorable.
- Do you have our wedding date available?
- Can you work within our budget? Can you share with me what a reasonable budget is for my requests?
- What is my “out the door” quote including any additional expenses on top of base fees? Taxes, upgrades, etc.?
- What is the payment process?
What are your cancellation and rescheduling policies? Are any fees refundable?
- What is the timeline for making final decisions during the planning process? For example — guest count, gown purchase, cake tasting?
- Do you carry personal liability insurance, professional indemnity insurance and appropriate licenses?
- What is your social media policy regarding sharing our wedding?
- Are you LGBTQ+ friendly?
- How do you handle public health mandates such as Covid-restrictions?
- What tiers of planning do you offer and what are the details? Full planning, month of, day of?
- Do you offer event design and styling?
- How often will we communicate and what is your preference: phone, text, email or via an online tool?
- Are there specific vendors you like to work with?
- What happens if you’re unable to be there on the day of our wedding?
- What’s the biggest wedding mishap you’ve ever encountered and how did you deal with it?
- Do we need to pay our vendors directly or do we pay you and you handle it?
- How will you help us stay within our budget?
- Do you coordinate deliveries, rentals, set-up times and other meetings with various vendors on the wedding day?
- Are appointments required to try on bridal gowns and bridesmaid dresses?
- Approximately how long are the appointments and how far in advance should I book my appointment?
- How many guests can attend the appointment with me?
- Should I bring special undergarments, shoes or accessories?
- What is the cost and process of alterations? How long does it take for my dress to arrive?
- Can you accommodate our desired seating capacity?
- Do you offer venue space for the ceremony and reception?
- How do you transition the room from ceremony to reception and what is the floorplan?
- What is the length of time included in our booking?
- Is there an additional charge for the wedding rehearsal?
- If needed, what are the alternatives for inclement weather?
- Can the wedding party get ready at the venue?
- Are there any planned building works or renovations before the wedding date?
- What are the guidelines for decorations?
- What are the bathroom facilities?
FOOD & BEVERAGE
- Do we have to use one of your preferred caterers?
- What are the details of the tasting process?
- Can we bring our own alcohol?
- How late will the bar be open? Is there a charge for a bar extension?
- What are the alcohol choices in the package and what are the upgrade costs?
- Is there a specific minimum amount that has to be spent before the end of the reception?
- Are there any additional charges for bar staff, waitstaff or corkage fees?
- Do you cater for special dietary requirements?
- Will you include coffee and tea after the main meal?
FLORAL & DÉCOR
- Can you recommend seasonal flowers in our preferred color palette that would work within our budget?
- Do you provide mockup designs for centerpieces, bouquets and more? If so, what is the charge?
- Do you offer event design and styling?
- Do you offer rental items (vases, trellis and decor) or must they be supplied by a rental company?
- How do items get returned after the wedding? Will you pick them up? What is your fee for pickup?
- What is your cost structure for delivery & setup?
- Do I keep the flowers?
- Do you book other weddings on the same date as mine?
- How far in advance do I need to book you?
- What is the average cost of weddings that you do?
- Do you know or regularly work with my venue or my other vendors?
- Why should I hire your business instead of another florist?
VENUE – LOGISTICS
- What time can we gain access to set up?
- Can you store decor items for us prior to the wedding?
- Are chairs and tables included in the cost?
- Do you offer china/cutlery/linen as part of the package?
- What are the parking options for guests and what is the cost?
- Is there easy access for the elderly and disabled?
- What time do we have to exit the venue?
- What is your style of photography: traditional or documentary?
- Will the photographer I book be the one to shoot my wedding?
- What happens if the photographer is ill on the day of the wedding?
- Will there be a second shooter?
- What is included in your pricing — albums, hours of coverage, engagement session, etc.?
- How long after the wedding will the photos be ready?
CAKES & SWEETS
- What are the details of cake tasting and selecting flavors and fillings?
- What is your average cost per slice?
- Will you design a custom cake or do you have preset styles to choose from?
- Do you provide the cake stand?
- What is the process for mockup designs for cake, sweets and more?
- Is delivery included?
- What happens if something is damaged on the cake in transit?
- Who provides any floral for the cake?
- How long can the cake be out at room temp?
HAIR & MAKE-UP
- Do you offer consultations and trials? If so what is the charge?
- Will you be able to accommodate all of my bridal party?
- How much time should I allow for hair and makeup on my wedding day?
- How far in advance should I book my trial appointment?
- Do you offer onsite services? How far will you travel? Are there travel fees?
- Should I bring my veil/accessories to the trial? What if I don’t have them yet?
- Do you design custom work or sell from invitation lines?
- Do you help with branding and/or custom monograms?
- Do you offer calligraphy or addressing services? What is the charge for this?
- Will you supply a proof before the invitation is officially printed?
- What happens if there is an error?
- How long after I place the order will the invitations come in?
MUSIC & ENTERTAINMENT
- How much set up time do you need?
- Do you have demos online where I can view your performance?
- What is your signature sound?
- How do you feel about a request list? Can you include any song that is important to us? (cultural or religious songs?)
- How many breaks will you need? What music will be provided during the breaks?
- What is your experience being the master of ceremonies?
- How many musicians and vocalists are available?
- What is your backup plan if there is an equipment malfunction?
- What is your strategy for packing the dancefloor?
- What do you typically wear when you perform?
- What are your power and amplifier requirements?
- Do you provide microphones and sound for the ceremony?
- How do you keep your music collection up to date?
- What happens if the DJ/Musician/Vocalist(s) is ill on the day of the wedding?
- What is your cinematography style?
- Have you worked with our photographer?
- How does the crew stay unobtrusive during the ceremony & reception?
- How long after the wedding will the video be ready?
- What is your process?
- Am I allowed to make edits once you present the video to us?
- What are your backup procedures?
- What happens if the videophotographer is ill on the day of the wedding?
- What music will you be using with the footage? Can we select the music?
- Will the videographer I book be the one to film my wedding?
- Will there be a second shooter?
- How long will the video be? Do you also provide a highlight reel?
- Do you have any sample wording/readings to share with us?
- Can we specify ceremony details such as music, special readings and vows?
- Can we include religious and personal touches if desired?
- Do you turn in the marriage license for us or will we have to do it?
- What is your religious affiliation?
- What does your package include and what are the costs?
- Do you have a video we can watch of you performing a recent ceremony?
- How long do your ceremonies usually last?
- How many pre-wedding sessions will we have with you? Are they included in the total cost?
- Do you offer shuttle service?
- Does your price include taxes and gratuity? Are there other fees?
- What attire will the driver be wearing?
- Will beverages or snacks be provided? If not, can we bring our own?
- What are the back-up options if the vehicle breaks down on the day of the wedding?
- Will you deliver and collect my rental items?
- Is there a cost difference if I pick up and return the items myself?
- What deposits are required?
- Do you have a minimum rental amount?
- What is the damage/deposit policy?
- Will you set up my items?
- What are the payment terms? Deposit and then final payment at pick-up?
- How long does engraving take?
- What if my ring doesn’t fit?
- What if I damage my ring and it needs repairs?
- Can my ring be easily resized?
- How do I care for my ring?
Photography by Emma Belen Photography